Login |  Register |  help
Warriors Sports

Walton Defeats Oxford in Opener

Varsity vs Oxford Academy on 9/1/2012 1:30:00 PM
Posted Tuesday, September 04, 2012 by Daily Star Staff and Tom Coddington
Walton rallies past Oxford

Staff Report

Twenty-two successive points — a run that started with a 75-yard kickoff return by Derek Mead and ended with a 5-yard scoring run by Mike Beers — carried host Walton to a 42-28 Section Four Football Conference non-division win over Oxford on Saturday.

A veteran Oxford squad received 209 passing yards and four touchdowns from quarterback Jody Smith in the season-opener for both teams.

When Smith hit Cameron Heggie on a 37-yard scoring pass and Andrew Golden made the third of his four extra points, the Blackhawks held a 21-12 lead in the third quarter.

Then Mead, a freshman, fielded the ensuing kickoff on one hop at the 25, found a crease in the middle of the field and went the rest of the way for a touchdown that cut Walton’s deficit to 21-18.

“Definitely, that was a big return,” said Walton coach Jim Hoover, who earned the 290th victory of his 37-year career.

After Oxford missed a field goal on its next possession, Walton took over at its 20. On the next play, Austin Kilmer raced 80 yards down the left sideline for a touchdown. Quarterback Dalton Kaminsky scored on the two-point run as the Warriors took a 26-21 lead.

Then the teams exchanged punts before Walton took over at midfield. The Warriors drove 50 yards in 12 plays, a drive capped by Beers’ 5-yard scoring run. Kaminsky hit Kilmer on the two-point play to make it 34-21 early in the fourth quarter.


Walton 42, Oxford 28
Oxford 7 7 7 7 — 28
Walton 6 6 14 16 — 42
W — Austin Kilmer 44 run (run failed)
O — Cameron Heggie 30 pass from Jody Smith (Andrew Golden kick)
O — Andrew Golden 29 pass from Jody Smith (Andrew Golden kick)
W — Mike Beers 6 run (run failed)
O — Cameron Heggie 37 pass from Jody Smith (Andrew Golden kick)
W — Derek Mead 75 kickoff return (run failed)
W — Austin Kilmer 80 run (Dalton Kaminsky run)
W — Mike Beers 5 run (Austin Kilmer pass from Dalton Kaminsky)
O — Andrew Golden 15 pass from Jody Smith (Andrew Golden kick)
W — Mike Beers 1 run (Mike Beers run)
Oxford rushing: Paul Wonka 21-156, Shawn McKee 1-(-1), Jody Smith 2-(-11), Joe Jackson 3-11.
Walton rushing: Mike Beers 26-226, Austin Kilmer 7-141, Trevor Zandt 4-10, Shane Hammond 1-10, Trevor Spencer 3-5, Christian Rutherford 1-4, Dalton Kaminsky 6-12.
Oxford passing: Jody Smith 12-for-24, 209 yards.
Walton passing: Dalton Kaminsky 2-for-5, 45 yards, 1 int.
Oxford receiving: Andrew Golden 9-119, Cameron Heggie 3-90.
Walton receiving: Brandon Scofield 1-39, Austin Kilmer 1-6.

— Trailing visiting Oxford by nine points in the third quarter, the Walton football Warriors broke two long scoring plays that made the difference in Saturday's season opener. After the Blackhawks had scored on their opening drive of the second half, freshman Derek Mead found a hole in the coverage defense and returned the kickoff 75 yards for a touchdown.
The visitors' next drive resulted in a missed field goal, and the home forces took over on their own 20 yard line. On the first play, junior tailback Austin Kilmer got some strong blocking help and outran the Oxford defense to the goal line on an 80 yard dash, giving the Warriors a lead they never relinquished, en route to a 42-28 victory.

The home forces got the ball first, and started at their own 21. Mike Beers quickly got a first down with a 12-yard run, and then one run by Trevor Spencer and two more by Beers got 11 yards and another. The Blackhawks were penalized five yards by an offside call and, three plays later, Beers gained another first down. Two plays later, however, the Warriors fumbled the ball away and Oxford recovered on its own 10.

After a short run by Paul Wonka, the Blackhawks lost five yards with a penalty for an illegal shift. Quarterback Jody Smith gained five yards with a pass to Andrew Golden, but his next pass was incomplete and Oxford was forced to punt. Spencer returned Wonka's punt to the Oxford 48.
Beers got four yards on the first play from scrimmage and, on the next play, Kilmer got the call, found an opening in the line, and raced 44 yards for the game's first touchdown. The conversion run came up just short, and with 3:59 left in the first period, the Warriors had a 6-0 lead.

The visitors came right back, and Shawn McKee returned Mead's kickoff to the 31. On the first play, Wonka broke through for a 28-yard gain and a first down. Smith passed to Golden for a six-yard gain, and a two-yard run by Wonka set up a third-and-two situation. Smith then connected with Cameron Heggie for a 33-yard touchdown pass. Golden kicked the extra point, giving the Blackhawks a 7-6 lead with 2:11 left on the first period clock.

Kilmer returned the ensuing kickoff to the 33, but three plays gained nothing, and Heggie made a good return of Robert Merrill's punt, but the ball was brought back to the Oxford 27 by an illegal block on the run-back. On the first play from scrimmage, Wonka broke a 31-yard run and a Walton defender was flagged for a late hit out of bounds.

The next two plays lost a total of two yards, but on third-and-12, Smith hooked up with Golden for a 29-yard touchdown. Golden again booted the extra point, building the Oxford lead to 14-6, just 48 seconds into the second quarter.Walton started at its own 24 on the next series, and was stopped on the first run. Beers got five yards on the next carry, and Dalton Kaminsky then connected with Kilmer for eight yards and a first down. Three plays later, on a third-and-six play, Kaminsky fired a strike to Brandon Scofield for a 38-yard gain but, on the next play, the Warriors coughed up the ball again, with Oxford covering at its 21.

The Blackhawks then went three-downs-and-out, as Wonka got eight yards in three rushes. He got a strong rush on his punt, and kicked it out of bounds at the Oxford 43.

Beers got just one yard on a first down run, and Kaminsky was stopped for a three-yard loss because of a bad snap. However, another offside call gave the Warriors five yards, and Kaminsky then called his own number and ran for eight yards and a first down. Beers followed with a 22-yard burst through the line, to the 10. He followed with a four-yard gain and, on the next play, went six yards into the end zone with two Blackhawks on his back. Again, the conversion attempt was short, but the visitors' lead was down to 14-12, with 2:45 left in the first half.

McKee returned the kickoff to his own 44, and Wonka got a first down with a 14-yard blast. After a false start cost Oxford five yards, Wonka had what looked to be a big gain, but it was brought back to midfield by a holding penalty. Scofield then sacked Smith for a nine-yard loss, and two plays later, the Blackhawks were again forced to punt.

Walton started on its 40, and Trevor Zandt ran five yards on first down. On second down, a Kaminsky pass caromed off the receiver's hand and Golden grabbed the deflection, returning it 30 yards to the Walton 40. On the final play of the half, Smith threw a pass to Golden that covered just seven yards.

Game Turns Around

After the second half kickoff went out of bounds, Oxford started on its 35, and Wonka immediately got a first down with a 13-yard run. On his next run, a teammate was flagged for holding, sending the ball back to the 39. After an incomplete pass, Smith connected with Golden for a six-yard gain, but a delay-of-game call cost the Blackhawks five yards.

Smith was not bothered by the situation, and quickly fired a pass to Heggie for a 23 yard gain. On the next play, he found Heggie open again, and the result was a 37-yard touchdown toss. Golden again kicked the one-pointer, and the lead grew to 21-12 with just two minutes and 23 seconds elapsed in the third quarter.Golden had been shaken up on his earlier reception in the quarter, and Heggie was called upon to kick off. His kick bounced right to Mead, who turned on the afterburners and got some good blocks before breaking into the clear for his touchdown. Just 12 seconds after the Oxford score, the Warriors were back within three points, although the two-point conversion failed again.

The Blackhawks started their next possession at their 31, and on first down, got a 13-yard run by Phil Jackson on a reverse play. Wonka followed with a 39-yard burst, getting the ball inside the Walton 20 again. Another reverse attempt was stopped for a four-yard loss and, after a short pass from Smith to Golden, Smith's third down pass was incomplete. Golden then attempted what would have been a 30-yard field goal, but pulled it wide left, and the home forces took over at their 20.

At this point, Kilmer broke his 80-yard scoring run, getting blocking help at the start and then outrunning other defenders to the opposite end zone. This time, the Warriors got the two-point conversion, as Kaminsky rolled out to his left and ran the ball into the end zone. With 7:31 still to go in the third quarter, the hosts regained the lead, at 26-21.

A 20-yard kickoff return by Bryan Simpson gave Oxford the ball at midfield. Two Wonka runs gained 11 yards and a first down, but the next two rushes got just four yards, and Smith threw two incomplete passes, giving the ball back to Waton at its own 35.

Beers broke runs of 18 and 10 yards for a pair of first downs, but the next two runs mustered just one yard. On third down, Kilmer ran for what would have been a first down, only to have it erased by a holding call. A Kaminsky pass fell incomplete, and when Merrill was called upon to punt, he kicked it into the end zone.

The visitors began on their 20, and Smith's first pass was incomplete. After Wonka was stopped for a two-yard rush, Smith went to the air, with a long pass intended for Heggie on the right sideline. Spencer broke up the pass, creating a punting situation, and Wonka's kick, under pressure, went out bounds at midfield.

At the outset of the fourth quarter, runs by Kilmer and Zandt only gained three yards total, but Kaminsky got the first down with a nine-yard scamper. Beers followed with two runs totaling 11 yards for another first down and, after rushes by Kilmer and Chris Rutherford netted just two yards, Beers went into action again. He went seven yards on the third down carry and, on fourth-and-two, boomed for 10 yards and a first down at the nine.

Beers gained two yards on his next carry, Kilmer also gained two on the second down play, and on third-and-goal from the five, Beers went in for his second touchdown of the day. Kaminsky passed to Kilmer for the two-point conversion, putting the Warriors ahead, 34-21, with 5:19 left in the game.Another good kickoff return by McKee gave Oxford the ball at its 47. After an incomplete pass and a one-yard rush by Wonka, Smith went to the air to Golden again, and the result was a 38-yard gain for a first down. A run was stopped for a yard loss, but Smith and Golden hooked up again for a 15-yard touchdown. Golden kicked his fourth extra point, and with 3:47 left, the Walton lead was down to 34-28.

An onside kickoff was covered by Mead at the Warriors' 39 yard line. On the first play, Beers barrelled through the line and shrugged off all defenders but one, who knocked him out of bounds at the three. On the next play he went in for his third touchdown, and also ran for the two point. With 3:01 left on the clock, the hosts had a 42-28.

The Blackhawks started at their 22, and got the benefit of two Walton penalties, an offside call and, on a pass play, a personal foul, and got across the midfield line. On the next play, Beers sacked Smith for a four-yard loss. Wonka got three yards on what would be his final rush of the day, and Smith's final pass fell incomplete, giving the ball back to the Warriors, who ran out the clock.

Stats and Such

Beers amassed 225 yards on 26 carries to lead the offensive surge, and Kilmer, in his first varsity start, gained 141 yards on seven totes, as the Warriors racked up more than 400 yards on the ground. Kaminsky was two-for-four through the air for 46 yards and ran for two key first downs.

Smith completed six passes to Golden for 110 yards and three to Heggie for 90, and threw the ball 21 times. Wonka gained 132 yards on 18 rushes, all but four yards of the Blackhawks ground total.

"It was a big win for us," remarked Walton Head Coach Jim Hoover. "We did hurt ourselves with those fumbles in the first half, but we were able to turn it around in the second half.

"Our guys never gave up, and they gutted it out, especially the six kids that never came out of the game. Our younger players all got lots of good playing time, and they performed well," he stated.

He said that Spencer, who is still nursing an injury, played very little on the offensive side of the ball, but praised Kilmer and Zandt for their efforts in taking over the second and third rushing roles to help Beers out. "They both stepped up for us," he noted.

This Friday, the Warriors travel to Greene for a game on the Trojans' turf field under the lights. "They have their whole offensive line back from last year," Hoover commented of the Trojans, "and they will be tough. We will have to play well to beat them."

Oxford responded on its next possession. Smith found Golden on a 15-yard scoring pass as the Blackhawks pulled to 34-28. Golden caught nine of Smith’s passes for 119 yards.

On the ensuing kickoff, Oxford tried an onsides kick that Walton recovered.

The next play saw Beers break a 60-yard run to Oxford’s 1. Beers scored on the ensuing play and tacked on the two-point run.

Beers finished with 226 yards on 26 carries and scored three touchdowns, helping Walton to 407 rushing yards. Kilmer had 141 rushing yards on seven attempts.

“We have veterans back on the right side (of the line) and on the left side we have two 10th-graders and a junior,” Hoover said of Walton’s offensive line. “We ran to the (left) side and the young kids did well.”

Next for Walton is a game Friday at Greene. The Warriors and Trojans lost in the Section Four Class D and C championship games, respectively, last season.

“They have a very good offensive line,” Hoover said of a Greene squad that beat Susquehanna Valley, 43-0, in its opener. “Their offensive line, all but one of them have been together for three years. They’re big and strong, and it’s going to be a challenge.”

This page was created in 0.1094 seconds on server 132